Short Depth UPS
 General questions - what UPS fits best for your use?   Started by Steven Cavanagh   2024-07-21 23:16:56 +01:00   Comments: 5    Viewed: 80

1. Hi,

Looking for a short depth rack mounted UPS, preferably APC smart-UPS type to fit a Startech RK12WALHM cabinet. I believe the max depth for the cabinet is approx 15.7 inch.

Ideally >= 1000VA

Any recommendations?
    Steven Cavanagh, 2024-07-21 23:16:56 +01:00
  2. NB-23
    NB-23 Member Warrington
    Howdy

quick metric conversio - max depth ~ 39.8cm

The 1000VA and APC means it will have to be 2u
    I just measured the 750VA which is shorter 

I measured the rear to the ears and it was 37cm. You'd still need room for the cables, and some room at the front (3cm) for the control panel which protrudes past the ears, so I think its a no go.

Even the SC450rmi1u is listing 383mm front to rear (this is from the front of the face to the rear. The measurement from the rackmount ears to the rear will be shorter.

Thinking laterally, you could put a tower UPS in, sideways
    or have a tower UPS on the floor and run a spur to the mini cabinet
    NB-23, 2024-07-22 10:48:22 +01:00
  3. Hi,

Thanks for the info, looks like I will struggle to get a rack mounted one then! I did think of using a tower one sideways but it would have to go on a shelf and was concerned about the weight of it.

A tower on the floor is one option and have done that elsewhere in the property but was hoping to avoid having anything on the floor ideally (this will be situated in an outbuilding, home office).

The only things that require protecting are a NAS (6 disks), managed 24 port switch, a PoE AP & a couple of PoE cameras, but the big issue is ensuring there is the ability to request that the Synology NAS shuts down before power runs out! If APC isn't an optin are there any other manufacturers that I should be looking at?

Steve
    Steven Cavanagh, 2024-07-22 12:55:10 +01:00
  4. NB-23
    NB-23 Member Warrington
    Howdy

I'd advise sticking to APC, and units that have a USB link for NAS devices.
    Thats what we used ourselves.
    I also experimented with a network card and our Synology was OK with that for the comms link, but it was not as simple.

If in an outbuilding you can put blocks under the UPS to raise it - if water ingress is an issue. 
    You can also mount above/adjacent and run a spur through. This is what we recommend for recording studios, but for noise issues rather than space.

I think you are left with a sea of none-optimal solutions - probably the best will be a tower UPS, and perhaps a cable like the below or PDU to get the power to your cab.

https://secure.ups-trader.co.uk/other/119-4gang-c13.html?search_query=gang&results=2

I did check a liebert UPS that we consider short depth (the PS1500) but that was not short enough to make it fit. I'll link it so you can see.

https://secure.ups-trader.co.uk/rack-ups/438-emerson-ps1500rt3-230.html?search_query=ps1500&results=4

Last thought - some EATON 5P types have their rackmount ears drilled so they can be rotated 90 degrees and used to mount the UPS flat to a wall, which must work, but seems a bit out there and you need to make sure you have adequately strong wall fixings. 
    I'll find an image - below.
    We could look at making some ears like this for other UPS and that would open you up to SUA1000rmi1u types, which are good value

https://secure.ups-trader.co.uk/rack-ups/181-sua1000rmi1u-wf.html

2_1721649961_Eaton5P-wallmount.jpg
    NB-23, 2024-07-22 13:07:09 +01:00
  5. NB-23
    NB-23 Member Warrington
    Have a ponder and weigh up wihch way you think is best. If you fancy the wall mount option like above I'll see what we have ears wise. We might need to drill some out of Aluminium billet, or modify existing - and I'd need to price that for time and mateirals.
    NB-23, 2024-07-22 13:09:14 +01:00
  6. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Write your reason

Terms & Conditions!
Help!